Tuesday 24 March 2009

Is RBS bust and they are not telling us? Part two

Today I thought I try and concentrate on a more positive picture of Royal Bank of Scotland (RBS). First, the British economy is going to need a counterweight to the new domestic banking giant Lloyds Banking Group. A diminished or disappeared RBS is not what we want in competition terms.
RBS still has some massive assets. For instance, I have been a NatWest customer since student days and I have been impressed how cheery the Potters Bar branch has been despite the uncertainty.
The bank's foreign assets, especially the U.S ones, should be kept. I thought it was a mistake to sell the Chinese interests just because cash could be easily raised. The original deal made a lot of sense.
The RBS brand is well-known. I know scorn has been poured on Fred the Shred's sports sponsorship activities but again these made sense, if the aim was to become a global bank.
RBS chairman Stephen Hester has been here before. I suppose he did not personally sort out the aircraft leases of Abbey National but a lot of work was expended in sorting out the mortgage bank. He delivered up the bank to Banco Santander, which was possibly not in the national interest, but it did sort out the problem.

No comments: