Tuesday 11 November 2008

The 90th anniversary of First World War armistice.

For today's blog I am going to touch on a more serious issue. Today is the 90th anniversary of the end of the First World War. Although it is a long time away, it seems only yesterday when my grandad was regaling me with stories from the conflict. He was lucky and did not serve on the frontline but was one of the ground staff of
the air wing of the Army. He used to tell me how he loaded up Lewis machine guns.
The worst episode was when he accidentally burnt down a hangar and he thought he was
going to get shot for that.
www.searchaccountant.co.uk
After the Great War my grandad managed to get a job on the railways. To get a bit extra money he joined the Territorial section for railway workers. This meant rather
than missing out on the Second World War he was in France within days of hostilities
breaking out.

No comments: